Welcome to Chef Dan's Kitchen
Each month, Executive Chef Dan Lavallee releases a select recipe to share with our Membership. With nearly 30 years of culinary experience, Chef Dan has amassed quite the recipe book and looks forward to sharing his favorites with you. From sauces to sautéed chicken, Chef Dan has a recipe for everyone, including gluten-free and vegetarian options!
Check back at the end of each month for new, exiciting recipes released from Chef Dan's Kitchen.
Steamed Mussels in Tomato Broth - December 2017
Makes Four Servings
1 tsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 Cup Dry White Wine
- Warm olive oil in a large pot with a tight fitting lid over low heat.
- Add garlic and stir until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and increase heat to high - stir for another minute.
- Pour in the white wine and bring to a boil.
- Add the mussels, cover the pot and steam - occasionally give the pot a vigorous shake.
- After 3-4 minutes the mussels should have all opened - discard any un-opened mussels.
- Transfer the mussels to a serving bowl, spoon the remaining broth from the pot over the mussels and sprinkle with parsley.
Tomato Pomodoro - November 2017
Makes Seven Portions
4oz. Granulated Sugar
- Fill a saucepan with two gallons water and bring to a boil.
- Core tomatoes and make an "X" 1/8" deep with a knife on the other side.
- Poach tomatoes in boiling water until skin begins to come away from flesh.
- Shock in ice water until cold.
- Remove tomato skins and cut in half.
- Squeeze all seeds out of tomatoes (save skins and seeds for stock).
- Roughly chop tomatoes.
- Heat 2 oz. of both olive olis in pan until slightly smoking.
- Add garlic slices and cook until nutty brown and caramelized.
- Add tomatoes and sweat for 10-12 minutes on high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar and season with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Add the remaining extra virgin olive oil and stir well.
- Fold in fresh basil just before serving.
Sautée Shrimp in Tomato Garlic Sauce - October 2017
Serves Two People
1 1/2 T Koser Salt
1 Cup Monarch Garlic Sauce
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the EVOO, scallions, a pinch of salt, and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Cook until the greens of the scallions are wilted, add the Monarch Garlic Sauce and cook for two more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, season with salt and cook while stirring until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the Clam Juice and Meyer Lemon Juice, bring to a light simmer and stir.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Sprinkle the shrimp with salt and pepper, add to a sauté pan with two tablespoons of EVOO.
- Cook on one side until the shrimp begins to turn opaque and curl slightly.
- Then toss and cook until they just begin to turn pink on the other side.
- Add shrimp to sauce and toss well.
- Serve over pasta or rice.